Monday, February 22, 2016

De Quervain's Tenosynovitis

 
http://blog.lionbrand.com/2015/01/14/hand-therapy-for-knitters-tips-and-techniques-for-hand-health/


I'm currently somewhere between angry, frustrated and depressed. I'd been knitting at almost my normal production rate when my De Quervain's tenosynovitis started up again. I had continued doing the exercises physio gave me and added in the rubber ball rolling method. I stopped doing the massage on the tendon some months ago. Last Thursday, after no knitting for five days (while feeling very sorry for myself and bored) I started using heat and massage again. I had a very noticeable hard knot on the top of my arm just below the bend. My physiotherapist says the knots are similar to an internal scarring and the massage breaks it up. When I was seeing her regularly it took several weeks but the knot did completely disappear. When I compare to my right arm there is no knot on that tendon. Friday morning I got up and had to ice it due to noticeable swelling. I'm trying to scratch the knitting itch by reading knitting blogs and books, however I'm feeling anxious and jittery! This is total proof to me about the calming nature of knitting. 

If you want to read more about the benefits of knitting, here's a recent article from the Globe and Mail


4 comments:

  1. I got myself an ultrasound to do at home and have found it very helpful. Just a suggestion.
    ~Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have ultrasound treatment last time at the clinic. I may need to go back again. Thanks for the suggestion. I've been icing, warming, stretching and massaging and I do think I'm feeling some improvement already.

      Delete
  2. Hi Robin! As a frequent wrist tendonitis sufferer, nothing (and I mean nothing) works better than ice dipping combined with magnesium supplements. I tried it all: acupuncture, active trigger injections, physio, ultrasound etc...until I started ice dipping again, I had a lingering pain for months. If you would like to know more, feel free to pm me on ravelry; same nick there.

    Cheers!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny I'm good right now but I'll try it with the next flare up. I just googled how to do it.

      Delete